My baby has a pretty significant eczema problem so the pediatrician recommended I stop consuming dairy and soy to try and clear it up. I did not realize how many foods actually have both dairy and soy but boy is it a lot! I was determined to still be able to enjoy some of the delicious foods I love, and that is where this recipe comes into play. I will show you how to make a mouthwatering yellow cake, all while on a dairy free and soy free diet.
View the printer friendly recipe card here.
You will need:
- 1 1/3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 cups, plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (large)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Lightly grease (with coconut oil or use cooking spray) one 8-inch round cake pan. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the coconut oil and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, beating until well combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the coconut oil mixture, followed by 1/4 cup of the almond milk, and continue adding the remaining ingredients, beating well before adding the next. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
So I couldn’t help myself and I had to sneak a piece once it came out of the oven. But oh my goodness, this cake is even better once it completely cools! You cannot even tell there are substitutes.
Share your favorite dairy and soy free recipes in the comments below.